Monday, February 6, 2012

St. George and the Dragons

"Read This Book" wasn't a very good title for a blog like this. I never intended to limit myself to books, and will probably end up writing less about them than more. My goal (as stated before) is to engage culture from a thoroughly Christian perspective.

In the old legend, St. George slays a dragon, thus freeing England and winning the hand of a beautiful princess. It's the kind of story G.K. Chesterton loved, the kind he felt best described the nature of Christianity—with sin and the devil as the dragon, the Church as the princess, and Christ Himself as the knight in armor defeating evil and taking us to His heavenly palace.

As Gilbert Keith would have said, it's the story of a hero among dragons. Not, by contrast, the story of a dragon among dragons, which makes no sense but which is such a common theme today. I'm no hero, but I am at war with the dragons, and I'm on the Hero's side. In that sense I'm St. George, and the dragons are the scions of evil cropping up in their various guises pretty much everywhere we turn.

So "St. George and the Dragons" seems a much more appropriate title for this blog. It's a tip of the hat to the best fairy tale of all time and the greatest Christian writer of modern times, and good guys vs. dragons is never boring. I'll do my best to make sure this blog isn't, either.

4 comments: