Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Nebulous Nonsense

If it was anyone else I'd politely refrain from mentioning names, but since Douglas Wilson has no qualms about pointing fingers I'll be direct. On the site Goodreads (where members tell other members what books they've read, review them, and discuss them), Mr. Wilson has written 1,452 reviews. A lot of them are short, many of them very short, like his review of N.T. Wright's Millennium Myth: "Really good." Some are half that length.

Those aren't the ones that bother me. While they aren't very helpful for someone who doesn't know anything about the titles they purport to review, at least they indicate Wilson's opinion of them. The ones that bother me are quite different.

For instance: concerning a book titled If You Want to Write: A Book About Art, Independence and Spirit he writes, "Good or atrocious, depending." Or this one for William Beveridge's A Short History of the Westminster Assembly: "Good. Poor."

For a man who took it upon himself to defend Christian truth and meaning against atheist bulldog Christopher Hitchens, these reviews seem like rank hypocrisy. "Good. Poor." sounds like a review for two different books. Which, given the number of reviews he's bestowed on Goodreads members, may be the case. Maybe he simply forgot to save and continue before passing judgment on the next tome in his queue. Or maybe he hasn't read any of these books at all, and simply can't help telling people what to read and what to leave on the shelf.

Except, if that last possibility is the case, wouldn't he want to be less vague?

Whatever the case may be, nebulous reviews that tell readers nothing—that in fact obscure meaning and truth—are unacceptable, especially from a self-appointed defender of the faith.

Here's one for Nietzsche's The Anti-Christ: "Green vomit." Thank you for that, Mr. Wilson. I have no love for Nietzsche, but if that's all you can come up with I think it's best you leave your comments to yourself. Of course, when you get to the point you think everything you say is gold, it's probably tough to sort the worthless from the worthwhile.

Again, none of this would bother me if Wilson was just some schmoe who had no life apart from the Internet. But he's not: he's published numerous books on mostly Christian topics, he pastors a large church in Moscow, Idaho, leads a growing denomination of Christian churches, interacts publicly with non-Christians like Hitchens and Christians like Mark Driscoll, and generally makes himself as well-known as possible. It would be nice if he could stop talking long enough to realize he doesn't have all the answers, and that a lot of what he says is just plain incomprehensible.

10 comments:

  1. One would think that for a Christian minister, a review of a book by Nietzsche would be the perfect outlet for some gospel spreading. Last I checked, the words "green" and "vomit" don't ever appear together in any of the canonical gospels (not sure about the apocrypha). It is actually a bit sad that was really all he said about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly! Wilson clearly has some gifts as a communicator; I'm not trying to disprove that. It is sad, and it's sad because he could say so much more and yet falls back on mockery and polemics. It's also sad that he'll probably never read my blog haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never have the kind of following that Wilson has. I don't know that I have a following at all. Even then, I'm sure that if I made Wilson's simplistic evaluations of massively influential works, somebody in my acquaintance would call me on it. Which prompts the question, who holds Christian figures of Wilson's ilk accountable, and do such figures listen to those who hold them accountable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys...come on, green vomit is a whole other class from yellow vomit...or may-it-never-be BROWN vomit. Obviously he was saying that Nietzsche just...I mean, that, Nietzsche was kinda...like, JUST DON'T READ IT CAUSE DOUG WILSON SAID OK!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that the lack of punctuation might just have failed to convey this as an attempt at humor.
      I personally liked "Good.Poor." I really wish I had had a better explanation of that one.

      Delete
  5. It was understood as humor, and engendered the appropriate response, regardless of punctuation.

    When you say you liked "Good. Poor.", do you mean you liked the review? Is there something there I missed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. C. Hollis, I'm pretty sure if Wilson read your blog, he'd classify it as "good or atrocious, depending." And I don't think this post would qualify for his good stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahaha I hope he'd post a comment or two, but I'm not sure I'd be able to interpret them....

    ReplyDelete
  8. He'd say "Good. Green Vomit. Happy. Spork. Poor."

    I just meant I found it hilarious. I mean, terrible, but I'd really love to know what he was thinking when he wrote that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahahaha if he said all those things about my blog, that would actually amuse me to no end. And I, too, would like to know what he was thinking. Wouldn't we all?

    ReplyDelete