Tuesday, April 10, 2012

2nd Part

"Well, hermit, you really do exist," said the traveler. He was young, but not a boy, just on the cusp of middle age. He was handsome, and his expression intelligent. He wore quality boots and clothes.

"I am here," said the hermit.

"Have you found Wisdom?" It was framed as a question, but the tone was of a man resigned to the same answer he'd received from everyone else. There was so much wisdom, it seemed, but so few who'd apprehended any. "Are you wise?"

"What kind of a question is that? Would a wise man live on a mountain like this? Go away; now that you've seen me you can tell your friends I exist and win your wager." The hermit spoke almost tonelessly, without malice or warmth. "The ghost story is true."

"I'm not interested in ghosts," said the young man. "I want to know if you've found Wisdom."

"No." The hermit looked hard at the stranger. "I haven't."

"Well," said the traveler, "I am determined to."

"Then leave me alone and go find it." The hermit turned to go inside but the younger man held his arm.

"I need your help."

The older man laughed. "I told you I know nothing."

"It doesn't matter what you know, it matters what I know. But still, I need your help. They told me you could take what I needed to give you."

The hermit shook his arm free. "I don't want any of your snake oil, kid. Let me be." This time his voice was a growl, and he lowered his forehead over his eyes to look menacing.

"Can we go inside?" asked the younger man, unperturbed. "When I've given you the only important thing I own, I'll leave. You'll only see me once more, and that briefly. At least let me tell you what I intend to do, how I intend to find Wisdom. Also, I'm starving."

"You're mad, too." The hermit narrowed his eyes. "What is it you want to give me?"

"Just one thing. First, give me some food and water."

"Tell me what it is, and I'll think about it."

The younger man looked at the hermit, then looked away before he spoke. "I want you to take my soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment