Friday, January 27, 2012

Ancient Modernism

Dr. Johnson said only a blockhead writes for anything but money. I do write for money, but I write in my spare time, too. I'm not sure what this makes me other than obsessed.

There's a blog-littered wake behind me, mostly comprised of self-aggrandising posts and premature failure. This one had better stick. I think it will.

As to the title, there are also movies you need to watch and albums you need to listen to.

Finally, the title of this post: My philosophy. Christ told His followers to be wise as serpents, innocent as doves. The cynicism of modern man has its good points, but only as far as it is tempered by the life-embracing, rambunctious naivete of the ancients. I am a Reformed Christian, fully aware the Church is always in need of renewal, yet rooted deeply and irrevocably in the past. My approach to culture is an attempt to bridge the gap between past and present, to show things as simply as they may be rendered yet to understand the "sophistication" of our contemporaries without misrepresentation or unwarranted mockery. If mockery is deserved, however, may God grant me the insight of Kierkegaard and the wit of Chesterton.

No comments:

Post a Comment